Insert Background Code Here

Hover over an image to Pin It

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dill Pickle Soup... Yes, you heard that correctly.

I got all kinds of crazy looks when I said I was making Dill Pickle Soup.  My family thought I had lost my mind, but couldn't get enough of it after I made it.  I am giving credit to Noble Pig for this delicious recipe.  They also have better pictures than I do.  Swing by their blog and give them some love.  This recipe makes the world a better place :) 


Now, for the recipe...
This recipe serves 6-8

You will need:
5 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used fat free, low sodium)
1 3/4 pounds russet potatoes (American grown, about 5 or 6 small/medium)
2 cups chopped carrots (I made them really small)
1 cup chopped dill pickles (I made them larger than the carrots since they are my fav!)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I used salted, but used low sodium broth)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups pickle juice (I used Vlasic kosher dills)
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Morton Lite Salt)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Garnish: Sliced dill pickles, fresh dill, black pepper

What to do...
In large boiler, combine broth, potatoes (peeled and diced), chopped carrots and butter (a whole stick).  Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.  Add pickles and continue to simmer.

As Noble Pig suggested, chopping with a Pampered Chef chopper makes light work of the chopping and it also allows you to control the size of the dices.  

Meanwhile, combine flour, sour cream, and water to make a paste.  When potatoes are tender, add this paste to your pot ~ 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking thoroughly each time.  It is okay to break up some of the potatoes doing this.  The flour will work in, just whisk away and keep simmering.

Add pickle juice, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, and cayenne.  Cook ~5 more minutes and remove from heat.  Add salt, if needed (your pickle juice may be salty enough).  

Place in bowl, add pickle slices and fresh dill.  Serve immediately.

*My husband says it is best served with Ritz Crackers.  I loved it plain.  Please feel free to comment with your serving suggestion ideas.


No comments: